Camlock fittings, also known as Cam and Groove Fittings, are an incredibly reliable and convenient tool used in a wide range of industries, including the medical industry, the chemical industry, the agricultural industry, and military applications. They are usually used to transfer acid, alkaline, and corrosive substances but can also be used to transfer non-harmful liquids such as those in irrigation systems.
Here we will be giving you a short rundown of what Camlock fittings are, the types of Camlock fittings you will come across, and some applications of Camlock fittings.
What Are Camlock Fittings?
Camlock fittings typically consist of a male and female end that can be closed together; they are used to connect two hoses or pipes together to facilitate the transfer of liquid or semi-liquid substances from one end to the next. They are incredibly useful tools that can accurately be fitted together and do not allow for substance leakage during transfer. Moreover, they are incredibly easy to work with and only need a few seconds at a time to connect or disconnect them from a system.
Camlock fittings are available in various material types, including stainless steel, brass, polypropylene, and aluminum alloy, with aluminum and stainless steel Camlock fittings being the most common types.
Traditional hose or pipe connections would use nuts and bolts to hold them in place, which consumes a lot of time simply closing or opening them up. They would also rust easily, and if not tightened adequately, they will lead to leakages.
How Do Camlock Fittings Work?
They do not need any tools to tighten them or close them. They come with cam arms attached to the fitting end of the male adaptor. These cam arms (which look like handles) are pushed to slide lock the adaptor into the female end. The cam arms are designed to have the two adaptors sealed off completely and locked into place. Similarly, when you need to remove the cam locks, you simply need to extend the cam arms back into their original position. This will release the pressure holding the adaptors in place, and your Camlock fitting will come loose.
Types of Camlock Fittings
Camlock fittings are available in 8 standard types; you will find these commonly available in the market.
- Type A – male adaptor with female thread: This type has male adaptor and female threads of the same size. The male adaptor can be interested in any female coupler of the same size from Type B, C, D, and DC.
- Type B – female cam coupler with male thread: This is typically used with Types A, E, F, and DP of identical sizes.
- Type C – female cam coupling with hose fitting: Usually used with Type E adaptors, it can also be used with the same size adaptors from Type A, F, and DP.
- Type D – female cam coupler with female thread: A female type Camlock coupling, usually used with type A adaptor, can also be used with Type E, F, and DP.
- Type E – cam adaptor with hose fitting: Usually used with Type C couplers, it can also be used with Type B, D, and DC (of the same size).
- Type F – Camlock adaptor with male thread: Can fit into any female couplers from Type B, C, D, and DC.
- Type DC – Dust caps for male adaptors: Used with Type A, E, and F adapters to seal the end of their connection.
- Type DP – Dust Plugs for female couplers: Used with type B, C, and D couplers to seal the end of their connection.
Applications of Camlock Fittings
Camlock fittings have a wide range of applications; here are some notable applications:
- They are used in the agricultural industry; since they are resistant to acids, they are ideal for use in hose connectors for spraying needs and irrigation.
- They are used in the chemical industry for safely transferring chemicals across the facility.
- Camlock fittings are used in the petrochemical industry, particularly in oil distribution, to deliver petroleum to service stations and homes.
- They are used in sanitation works and for domestic piping since they don’t erode easily and can bear higher pressure.
- Brass Camlock fittings are particularly used in the transmission of salty water.
- They are used in water purification plants for the secure and quick transfer of water.
Camlock fittings are incredibly useful, but you can only reap the true benefit of this tool if sourced from a trusted provider.
Union Metal – the Trusted Supplier of Camlock Fittings
For the past 15 years, Union Metal has been providing clients with a wide range of couplings, all made using quality products in its state-of-the-art facility. Union Metal products are being used in all types of industries, including the petrochemical industry, the chemical industry, and the agricultural industry. Moreover, the company is quality certified (ISO 9001:2015) according to the industry standards. If you are looking for a reliable source of Camlock fittings, reach out to Union Metal!