Carbon Steel Vs. Stainless Steel Camlock Fittings: How Do They Compare?
A Camlock fitting is also known as the grooved coupling or cam. It connects two hoses or pipes to ensure the smooth flow of fluid within these pipes. Typically, the two halves of Camlock fittings are convenient and straightforward to connect and disconnect since there is no need for tools to perform this action. With the help of Camlock fittings, whether stainless steel Camlock fittings or carbon steel Camlock fittings, the need for traditional, time-consuming, and expansive methods of connecting the hoses have been eliminated.
Almost every industry makes use of Camlock fittings. Majorly, the applications of Camlock fittings are found in industries, such as pharmaceutical, oil and gas, agricultural, and military appliances manufacturing sectors. Camlock fittings are a massively versatile product because there are no threads to connect the two hoses or pipes, so the chances of getting damaged or dirty are rare. In other words, these fittings are suitable for dirty and environmentally harsh places.
Moreover, in the industries where frequent changes of pipes and hoses are required, like petroleum or oil and gas industries, Camlock fittings are highly suitable. However, we will compare two types of Camlock fittings: carbon steel Camlock fitting and stainless steel Camlock fittings.
What is Carbon Steel Camlock and Its Features?
Camlock fittings are divided into multiple types based on material, and carbon steel Camlock fitting is one. While choosing the component for a specific job, the scale and magnitude of the job should be clear enough since it helps determine the suitable material for the right job. Steel is chosen because of its more solidarity, strength, and versatility. Oppositely, carbon is added to target a particular industry application.
Features of Carbon Steel Camlock
Carbon steel Camlock fittings have a lot of distinguishing features, and some of them are below:
- The addition of the right amount of carbon into the steel makes it possible to attain the required level of durability out of the product.
- Carbon steel Camlock fittings are can better sustain the environmental changes, require less cleaning, and are usually rust-resistant.
- Usually, low-carbon steels are softer and malleable. But the strength and hardness of the final product can be adjusted through heat treatment during the manufacturing process. As a result, it resists abrasion and retains shape.
What is Stainless Steel Camlock and Its Features?
In most industries, stainless steel Camlock fittings have a wide range of applications. The reason is that this kind of environment is highly corrosive. The stainless steel Camlock fittings successfully prevent contamination from being transported within the pipes.
Features of Stainless Steel Camlock
Here we explore some of the distinctive features of stainless steel Camlock fittings:
- Typically, the rest of the material lose their strength when the surrounding temperature is high. But stainless steel Camlock fittings keep on doing their jobs irrespective of high temperature.
- The brass is considered a good choice when it comes to hardenability. Nevertheless, the stainless steel Camlock fittings are still more rigid than brass Camlock.
- Stainless steel is corrosion-resistant, which offers explicit resistance against rusting.
- The durability, tensile strength, and formability of stainless steel Camlock fittings are usually higher than conventional material fittings.
Carbon Steel Vs. Stainless Steel Camlock: How Do They Compare?
The final verdict always goes with their respective use when comparing carbon steel Camlock fittings and stainless steel Camlock fittings. The two materials have their advantages and disadvantages and offer excellent service for specified industries.
For example, carbon steel Camlock fittings are specifically used in the oil and gas industry. In contrast, stainless steel Camlock fittings are perfect for most industries.
Union Metal is one of the experienced manufacturers and Camlock fittings suppliers, delivering efficient, highly specified, customized, affordable Camlock fittings or couplings. Amid many other couplings, Union Metal provides the best stainless steel Camlock fittings. The versatility, high quality, and durability of these fittings make them a perfect choice for your projects.